"G" Company - 2nd Platoon Personnel
2nd Battalion, 6th Marines
2nd Marine Division
November 1960 - March 1962

Biographies, recent photographs and contact information are available for those whose names have been high-lighted in blue. You need only to mouse click the name to move to the database. As five members of any platoon are contacted or accounted for, a dedicated page will be furnished for that platoon:

2nd Platoon

2nd Lieut. Douglass. M. Carver
T/Sgt (E-6) L. H. Dade - Deceased
S/Sgt (E-5) Delbert J. Jones
Sgt (E-4) Richard R. "Frog" Gunn
Cpl (E-3) Emmit S. Holmes
Cpl (E-4) Paul L. Malone
L/Cpl _ R. Franks
L/Cpl Gary Lewis
L/Cpl Nathaniel Martin
L/Cpl W. R. O'Neil
L/Cpl Harold G. Shook
Pfc Lee C. Davis

Pfc. Richard Landry
Pfc. D. P. Laux
Pfc. R. D. Michaels
Pfc. W. W. "Monk"Moxley
Pfc. William E. Port
Pfc David Clay Prescott
Pfc. Gary D. Rodwell
Pvt. Francis F. Rose
Pfc. A. J. Sikora
Pfc Junius F. Sosebee
Pfc. L. D. Stone
Pfc Charles E. Wilson - Deceased

Douglass M. Carver : [ Editor's Note: Former 2nd Lieutenant and now, long ago releaased from active duty, Captain USMCR Carver is the first of our Company's officers "rediscovered."
I look forward to seeing more.
A big Semper Fi to Doug and a thank you for reaching out to us.
Born in 1938 and raised in Boston, Massachusetts and the middle Atlantic states, I joined the Marine Corps in September 1959, out of ROTC at Harvard University, beginning my Basic at Quantico, Virginia. For a short period thereafter, I was in charge of two platoons of officer recruits. Then, off I went, sent to the pine barrens of Camp Lejeune, North Carolina to serve in the 6th Marines as an infantry officer until leaving the Marine Corps, in September 1961, with the rank of 1st Lieutenant ...anything less would have been surprising.
After my brief Marine career, I went to graduate school at Boston University [African Affairs, no less, as I was likely still under the influence of those many nights in Pointe Noire] and Political Science at the Ecole de Sciences Politiques, in Paris. The latter interest, I've always thought, being a direct impact of my many experiences as a Shore Patrol Officer in those french language ports in Africa. Finally, however, as life would have it, there came a time when all of this background and education need be put to making a living. First stop: Chase Manhattan Bank.
With it being tough as a RABID Red Fox fan such as myself to live in a Yankee town, I've always appreciated their kindness in sending me to Europe, in 1966. After "tours" in Switzerland and Belgium, I "jumped ship" to McKinsey in 1969 and began what has been the balance of a lifetime in Paris. Hardly a tragic circumstance.
Following my efforts for McKinsey, I worked for a French construction company, which provided many a trip to Africa and South America. Then, there was a German manufacturer of pharmaceutical packaging and, for the last twenty years, I've been running my own...very small...consulting firm and teaching at France's answer to the Harvard Business School.

March 1961 - Cape Town, SA.

Though contemplating retirement, I can't bring myself to do so. Perhaps because I'd like to believe myself the "fit young thing" of 50 years ago.
I met and married, Anke, a German woman living in Paris and remain so, though I wonder what she's in it for. We've two children, Kai and Astrid, neither of which you will notice bear Scottish names...sSomething very telling about who runs the family. You know, running a platoon of hard-charging, young Marines was a lot easier than getting a strong-willed-and-minded wife and two children to follow orders.
My daughter upped-and-married a Frenchman few years ago, thus, Anke and I have two young grand-daughters.
The Solant cruise was a wonderful experience. I have often bored my family with tales of Viegues, where Captain Skipper couldn't find my platoon for hours as we were on the wrong hill; a visit to a house on stilts in Recife where, as but a tourist mind you, I saw the largest heart-shaped bed imaginable and ne'er seen since; shore duty on Dakar where, after getting Marines and sailors alike back to their ships, my sergeant an myself went to the beach and hauled nets with local fishermen; a day spent with the crew and officers of a wine tanker(!) in Pointe Noire; the idyl [ wonderfully carefree experience] in Cape Town, where to everyone's surprise and pleasure our black Marines had a better time than their white comrades; then there was that great weekend in Madrid, where I allowed my imagination to get ahead of reality; and much, much more.
As for the USMC, I owe it for the education I received in how to lead men: to respect them and ensure that they respect you. It provided lessons applied my entire business life, which has not necessarily guaranteed success but has provided endless satisfaction in the feeling that people who have worked for me benefited from the experience, though not as much as I have in working with and for them.
I can be reached at: dmcarver@post.harvard.edu
Semper fi to "All Hands."

Lester H. Dade[NOW DECEASED]

The former Weapons Platoon Sergeant, veteran of both WWII, originally assigned as a member of "E" Company 4th Raider Battalion initiated at Camp Pendleton on 8Dec42, and Korea was buried on 27Jun2001 at the Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery in St. Louis, Missouri.

As personnel and even Company letter assignments changed ( "E" and "F" being eliminated; "A" becoming "N;" "B" became "O;" "C" became "P;" and "D" became "Q"), knowing where he was at war's end would be an impossibility. However, the 4th Raider Battalion joined with the 1st through 3rd Battalions and a Headquarters Company to make up the 1st Raider Regiment in March 1943. Elements of the 4th therefter participated in the following actions:

21Jun43 - "O" and "P" secure and occupy Segi Point, New Georgia and six days later
27Jun43 - They embark on rubber rafts at Segi Point, proceed to Regi Village, New Georgia and
the folllowing day proceed by foot to Viro Harbor; New Georgia, BSI.
30 Jun43 - "N" and "Q" proceed to, prepare for and engage in the Battale of Kaeruka at Wickham Achorage, Vanguna Island, New Georgia, BSI and subsequent occupation 1-8Jul43.
1July43 - The attacks of "O" and "P" on both the east and west banks of the Viro Harbor were successful.
"O" and "P" return to Guadacanal for R&R. "N" and "Q," however, proceed to Gatukai Islands, New Georgia, BSI for combat patrols until returning to their home port of Guadacanal on 12Jul43.
20-21Jul43 - The entire 4th Battalion engaged with Japaense forces at the Battle of Bairoko Harbor, New Georgia, BSI and from
28Jul-28Aug43 - The entire 4th Raider Battalion provided combat patrols, mop-up efforts and occupation efforts on the Dragons Peninsula at Enogai, New Georgia.
1Feb44 - 4th Raider Battalion became the 2nd Battalion of the 4th Marine Regiment as it along with all other Raider Battalions become part of the reconstituted 4th Marine Regiment landed 20Mar44 - Seized and occupied the virtually unoccupied the one time enemy held island of Emirau in the Central Pacific, departing on 15Apr45.
- As part of the 1st Provisional Marine Brigade assisted in the capture of Guam from then joined the ranks of the 6th Marine Division in preparation for WWII's last effort in the Pacific.
1 Apr45
...The Battle for Okinawa.

Gunny Dade may have particpated in any of the above actions.

Unable to obtain his obituary, the particulars of his death remain unknown. The “Gunny” was born on 12Sep1921 and died shy of 80 years. Some thoughts about the man are provided below by former G26 members.

Corpsman Steve Fetterly: "I always had the impression he loved the Marines. He had a metal plate in his head, rumored to be silver as I recall, the result of an injury sustained when struck by an enemy sword.
"At one point, without explanation, he gave me his 'herribone utilities.'" You just couldn't get a read on the guy and it was wise not to cross him."

SSgt Ed Hart: "I'll never forget the guy. I respected him for being a Raider and Silver Star recipient.
"I can't remember which Raider unit he was in. I do remember that he was VERY smart, he read everything, all the time. He was also very frugal, must have had the first dollar he was paid, never left the barracks at night. Always wondered if he went back to college after he got out. Seems like a thing he would do.
"I guess one might say he was 'a genuine American hero.'"

Colonel Merrill Sweitzer: "Gunny Dade was my platoon sergeant when I was a Rifle Platoon Leader in G26 before deploying on Solant Amity I.
" You could always count on him to win any junk on the bunk inspection. Our troops had more 48 and 96 hour inspection reward passes than any other platoon in G26.
"A loyal and dedicated Marine who knew his stuff and saw a lot of combat during WWII but never elaborated upon it being, as he was, a rather private person."

May his soul rest in peace.

Richard Landry: Born 1941 and raised in Waltham, Massachusetts, I attended Waltham High School until Feb59, when for some reason I will never figure out, I just went down and joined the Corps. I went through Parris Island in Platoon 118. After boot camp I was assigned to Cryptograph school at Twenty-Nine Palms; B U T, I could not get a "Crypto" clearance because my father was Canadian. What a bummer, Dad!
Soooo, I was assigned the dreaded 0300 MOS and sent on to Geiger for Advanced Infantry Training. From there it was 2nd Platoon, G-2-6, a BAR and several trips to Vieques, with which I believe you're all familiar. It was there that I was so cordially introduced to the dynamic bar-fly duo of Messrs. Don Q and Ron Bacardi. We became intimate friends, the duo and I.
Then along came Solant Amity and a chance to see the world. It was after Solant that I realized how much I really loved traveling at Uncle Sam's expense, so I transferred to the 8th Marines and did a Med Cruise. That was also a blast. After that, I was sent to NBC school at Geiger and became an assistant instructor there running the infamous gas chamber, where you will all remember having sung the Marine Corps Hymn so awfully and to the point of tears.
What a bunch of cry-babies Marines are when you put them in a room full of CS gas and make them sing!
I got out in '63 and went back to Waltham. After about a year of screwin' around, I got married and got some odd jobs but finally got on track and ended up owning a small chain of sporting goods stores on the North Shore area of Boston. I had stores in Salem, Danvers, Woburn and Cambridge. It started out as Salem Army & Navy, then changed to Colman's Sporting Goods, then to MVP Sports Stores. I worked at that for about seventeen years. My wife and I raised three great kids and I now have four grand-kids who are just a hoot. I sold the business in '86 and slid back south to Florida where I've been beaching and golfing ever since. Still a lousy 18 handicap. Dammit I hate golf!
Now I'm messing around with real estate and making a few bucks here and there. That's my happy story, "and I'm stickin' to it."
I'd love to hear about what the rest of you grunts have been doing. Drop me a line at fivestar1@gmail.com.
A very big Semper Fi to you all.

Paul L. Malone: I was born in Chester, Pennsylvania on 20Feb38, attended Saint Roberts Catholic Grade School and Saint James Catholic High School for Boys and graduated in June of 1955.
Joining the US Army in September ‘55 and completing Basic Training at Fort Jackson, SC, I was first posted to Fort Lewis, WA and assigned to the 15th Field Artillery Battalion, Ladd AFB in Fairbanks, Alaska with an MOS of Artillery Gunnery, specifically Fire Direction Control and worked primarily with 105mm Self-Propelled M107 Howitzers, leftovers common to the Korean War. I was discharged from the Army in August 1958.
On 19April59, I enlisted in the Marine Corps, graduated Parris Island’s Basic Training with the 1st Battalion’s Platoon-122 and moved north to Camp Geiger Jacksonville, NC for a month long Infantry Training program and the first opportunity for liberty in three months. Completing the program, it was but a short cattle-car ride to the 2nd Marine Division’s 2nd Battalion of the Sixth Marine Regiment, where I was assigned to Golf Company and almost immediately turned loose on leave for a uniting of a different kind.
I was on my way to Chester, PA and a wedding date with Loretta S. Frank. Loretta and I were married by Father Griffith on 5Sep59 and remain together today. We were blessed with two daughters (Linda Ann and Lorrie Anne) and they have provided us with great memories, grand-children and, through them, great grand-children.
When I joined G-2-6 I was assigned to the 2nd Platoon as a BAR man of the 1st Squad. The Platoon Commander was 2ndLt J. J. O’Meara. The Platoon Sergeant was Navy Cross recipient GySgt J. J. Covella and the Platoon Guide was SSgt

Delver Jones. My Squad Leader was Sgt Kenneth J. Hebert. The CO of Golf Company was Capt. Gamby and the First Sergeant was Anthony Perkins. The Company’s XO was 1stLt Ernie Cook, who would cross my path later in my career and would eventually retire from the Marine Corps as a Lieutenant General. He is now deceased, having passed away in Charleston, SC some time back.
I absolutely loved being a “grunt” and Golf Company was home. Trips to Vieques, the boonies at Camp Lejeune and the available camaraderie all made for a great time. What was there not to like? As we approached the time for the Solant Amity cruise, in the latter half of ‘60, we were provided a new CO, Captain Kenneth J. Skipper and new Platoon Commander, 2ndLt Douglas M. Carver and a new Platoon Sergeant, Gunnery Sergeant Lester H. Dade, a veteran of both WWII as a Marine Raider and Korea.
In Aug60, after fifteen months with the Company and making Corporal E4 in Apr60, I was sent to NCO School at Montford Point. Determined to work hard and come out first, I did; which greatly enhanced my chances for promotion to Sergeant. .
In Nov’1960, we departed on the Solant Amity cruise and headed straight to Vieques, PR and an intensive level of live fire training, not common at the time. I was now a Squad Leader. And as one of the squads chosen to do the demonstration assaults on presumed fortified beachhead positions, we thrice made such landings and proved devastatingly proficient: In Capetown, South Africa for President Verwoerd (assassinated late in 1961); in Monrovia, Liberia for President Tubman; and in Cadiz, Spain for General Franco of Spain.
When the Portuguese passenger liner, Santa Maria, was pirated the 2nd Platoon left the USS Graham County and embarked on the USS Nespelen AOG 55. With that ship being short of billeting arrangements and my being a senior squad leader, I got to billet in the Chiefs’ Quarters…which was grrreeeaaaatttt living! Other units of the Company embarked upon destroyers (USS Gearing, the USS Vogelgesang and the USS Damato) and remained so throughout the pursuit and capture of the passenger liner.
Still others Marines had remained aboard the USS Graham County and USS Hermitage and, after sailing nearly 200 miles up the Congo River, evacuated Guinean troops and provided food and more relief for upriver Congo residents, All these ships then reunited in Recife, Brazil to spend, for a second time in eight weeks, another month’s salary in three days of port-and-starboard Cinderella liberty.
Thus, a goodwill cruise that started in Vieques and went to St. Thomas, Trinidad, Brazil, South Africa, Senegal, the Canary Island, Conakry, the Congo, Gambia, Spain and more was something that just amazed me. The paraphrased expression Join the Corps and see the World was, for us, a truism!
Then, it was back to Lejeune and the near end of our thirty month commitment to controlled input. At the beginning of ‘60, there began a fifty percent replacement of personnel from all ranks, as part of the Corp’s commitment to establish infantry units with men having no less than fifteen months of infantry training and experience.
I reenlisted for a change of MOS and reassignment to Hawaii. With my earlier military experience being Artillery related, I wanted to get back into it. And, along with the change in MOS, there came another stripe. I was promoted to Sergeant!
Prior to being promoted to Sergeant my squad was selected to compete against squads from 1st and 3rd Battalions of the Sixth Marines to represent the Sixth Marine Regiment at Headquarters Marine Corps to find out who was the best Infantry Rifle Squad in the Marine Corps. We were a young rifle squad with one Corporal, five Lance Corporals, six PFC’s and one Private but we ended up as the 6th Marines representative going to Marine Corps Base, Quantico, VA. for the competition. Awards were presented at the twilight parade at Marine Barracks, 8th and I. We returned on a Friday and I had to report to the Battalion Commander LtCol Ross T. Dwyer and Battalion Sergeant Major Lake. I was scared because we had not won. But, instead of being upset, both the Colonel and Sergeant Major proved excited because we had come in fourth place Corps wide and first place in the 2d Marine Division!
In Feb62, after joining the Headquarters Battery of the 10th Marine Regiment, I was assigned to the Radar Section under a Lt. Gnibus and MGySgt Short. Then, given my new rank and the many numerous advancements in both hardware and technology since I’d last pulled a Howitzer’s lanyard, I wound up in a Radar Operators Course at Fort Sill, OK. Graduating, I left with the ability to operate not one artillery piece so much as to coordinate an arsenal of same via three deadly accurate Artillery Tracking Radar systems.
In Sep62 I participated in the Cuban Blockade aboard the USS Waldo County – the only thing LST1153 didn’t have was oars!
In Sep63 Loretta, Linda, Lorrie and I departed Camp Lejeune for Treasure Island, CA, then on to Hawaii and the 1st Marine Brigade, 3rd Battalion, 12th Marines as the Operation’s Chief for 3/12’s Mortars.
In Mar65, 1st Marine Brigade deployed from Hawaii to Okinawa and subsequently to the beach of Chu Lai, Republic of Viet Nam. On 7May65, in support of the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the 4th Marine Regiment we heli-lifted inland and, I believe, were the first artillery battery to ever heli-lift into a combat area.
With Aug65 came Operation Starlight and the first real contact with NVA for Paul Malone. It was thought the operation would last 16 to 20 hours. Twelve days later, we were once again shipboard!
Dec65 – Mortars 3/12 departed the Republic of Viet Nam (RVN) and joined the 1st Marine Division, under General Fields, in Okinawa.
Jan66 ¬Mortars 3/12 as part of the 1st MarDiv redeploys to DaNang, RVN and takes up position on Hill 55, Southwest of DaNang.
May66 – I depart RVN for CONUS with orders to 2nd Field Artillery Group, Force Troops (155mm Gun Battery) at Camp Lejeune, NC and promoted to SSgt. by its Commanding Officer Major C. P. Rowland.
Jun66 – Attending the Operations-Intelligence School at Fort Sill, OK. I am one of sixty-six Marine Staff NCO’s present in a 16 week course with over 200 students and graduate first in the class.
May67 – Selected for Gunnery Sergeant
May68 – Ordered back to RVN and report to Headquarters Battery, 12th Marines in Dong Ha and assigned to the 4th Battalion, 12th Marine Regiment as the Battalion Operations Chief. 4th of the 12th is a composite Battalion having 155mm Self Propelled Howitzers, 8” Howitzers, 175mm Guns and 105mm Howitzers belonging to the 1st Battalion, 13th Marines. Our 155 Firing Batteries averaged about 25000 rounds a month supporting 3rd Marine Division Recon inserts along the Cua Viet River; which ran from the South China Sea West to Khe Sanh. Thus, we provided heavy weapons fire for the Rockpile, Con Thien, Gio Linh, Camp Carroll, LZ Stud, Ca Lu and Cam Lo.
Nov68 – Finally promoted to Gunnery Sergeant 18 months after being selected and six months serving as the Operations Chief for 4/12, with the rank of but Staff Sergeant.
Dec68 – Notified that I had been selected to attend Warrant Officer Screening Course at MCB, Quantico, VA.
Mar69 – Returned to CONUS – on leave in Jacksonville – reporting into WOSC in April 1969.
Apr–June69 – Warrant Officer Screening Course – Commissioned in June 1969 as a Warrant Officer, finishing in the top 10% of class and earning placement on the MCDEC Honor Roll.
Jun–Aug69 – Warrant Officer Basic School – Again I made the MCDEC Honor Roll by finishing in the top 10% of WOBC.
Aug69 – The WOBS class met with Monitors for orders. My Monitor was Lieutenant Colonel Ernie Cook, the XO of G-2-6 ten years earlier. My orders directed me to the 2nd Field Artillery Group, Force Troops, FMFLant, Camp Lejeune, NC as the Survey Metro Officer (0803) for Headquarters Battery.
Sep73 – Ordered to Okinawa and the 12th Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division as the Regimental Survey Officer.
Nov73 – I take the Survey Section to Camp Puller, South Korea to provide support for the 1st Battalion, 12th Marine Regiment.
Mar74 – I am laterally moved to serve as the Survey Officer for the Australian Artillery Regiment, which is under the command of LtCol Marshall, Australian Army. I take my Survey Chief (GySgt JD Federmeyer) with me.
Jun74 – I am still in Australia when I receive Emergency Leave with PCS orders – my wife, Loretta, is to undergo surgery on 24Jun. My PCS orders are for Marine Corps Base, 29 Palms, CA and to report to the 1st Field Artillery Group, as the Group Survey Metro Officer. The surgery was successfully completed and, after a short recovery period, we loaded two cars (one to be towed) and head cross-country for 29 Palms, CA.
Palm Tree Exercise – General E. Ried, Commanding General, MCB/Force Troops, 29 Palms, CA tasked 1st Field Artillery Group to provide Survey Control for the Palm Tree Exercise area, comprising the entire four hundred square miles of the 29 Palms Training facility. The 1st FldArtGrp Survey Section was tasked to provide Survey Support for the Palm Tree Exercise area later designated as the Marine Corps Combat Center (MCCTC) for training. From Mar75 through Aug76 we spent 400 days in the field, completing our work.
Sep76 – I receive orders for the 1st Marine Brigade and was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 12th Marine Regiment as the Survey-Metro Officer.
Aug78 – I win the WesPac Golf Championship played at Kaneohe Klipper Golf Course, MCAS, Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii which qualifies me for the All-Marine Golf Championship to be held at MCRD, Parris Island, SC.
Aug78 – I win the All-Marine (Senior) Championship at MCRD, Parris Island, SC. The following week I place second in the Inter-service Golf Championship held at NAS Mayport, Florida.
Sep79 – I receive orders for the 12th Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division, as the Regimental Survey-Metro Officer for the 12th Marines
Oct-Dec79 – Operation “Team Spirit” goes in Korea. The 12th Marine’s Regimental Survey provides support to 2nd Battalion, 12th Marines. Updated all survey information for the Nightmare and Saint Barbara firing ranges and disseminated same to US Army and Marine Artillery Units in the Pacific area.
Jan80 – Deployed with the Regimental Survey Section to the Zambales Firing ranges, Philippines. Upgraded all survey data and published new “Trig List” for Zambales.
Mar80 – Deploy with the Regimental Survey Section to Base Camp Fuji. Upgraded all survey data for Base Camp Fuji and the McNair ranges and publish a new Trig list for mainland Japan ranges.
Jul80 – I win the WesPac Senior Golf Championship at Awase Meadows, Okinawa, Japan. This qualifies me for the All-Marine Championship at MCAS Cherry Point, NC.
Aug80 – I win the All-Marine Senior Golf Championship at Cherry Point, NC; and the following week place fifth in the Inter-Service Golf Championship at Fort Meade, Maryland.
Sep80 – Received orders directing me back to the 1st Marine Brigade and assigned as the Brigade Training Officer with responsibility for training areas on islands of Hawaii, Oahu and Molokai
Jan82 – Ordered back to 1st Battalion, 12th Marines as the Survey Metro Officer where, at the time, the 1st Battalion, 12th Marines was deploying Firing Batteries on floats to WesPac with subsequent units deploying every six/seven months. Survey teams are required for each deployment. This requires a school be setup to ensure each Firing Battery has Survey Capability. The school is initiated and each Battery floats with Survey Capability!
Dec84 – I am chosen for membership into the Honorable Order of Saint Barbara!
Jun85 – Ordered to 10th Marine Regiment, Camp Lejeune, NC to fill billet as Regimental Survey Metro Officer.
Jul85 – I win the All Marine East Coast Regional Golf Championship at MCRD, Parris Island, SC. The following week I win the All-Marine Senior Golf Championship held at MCRD, Parris Island, SC.
Aug85 – I Place second in Inter-Service Golf Championship held at Maxwell AFB, Montgomery, AL.
Aug86 – Retire from the Marine Corps!
And there I was: UNEMPLOYED!
Nov86 – I went to work for Non-Commissioned Officers Association (NCOA) (Academy Life) as a Managing General Agent for life insurance in Hawaii, Guam and the Philippines.
May90 – I left NCOA and went to work for United Armed Forces Association (UAFA) (American Amicable) in Hawaii, Guam and the Philippines.
Feb93 – turned age 55 and prepared to sell our townhouse in Hawaii and return to North Carolina.
Nov93 – I closed sale on townhouse and moved back to Jacksonville, NC. Set up life insurance business in Jacksonville with Madison National Life (MNL) and Uniformed Services Benefit Association (USBA).
Jan95 – I contracted with Armed Forces Benefit Association (AFBA) as a Regional Director for States of VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, MN, MI, & WV and continued my affiliation with the Life Insurance business until June1, 2013 when I retired at age 75. It was a great life but I decided that I needed to play some golf and do something else besides making sales and training personnel.
The past couple of years I have played golf with a group of retired friends and since I am the youngest of the group they call me the “Kid”! I also work one day a week at a golf course which is something I truly enjoy.
So, now you know "the rest of the story.
Reach out and drop me an email at :
Or , if you're up to the long handed approach, write to 109 Brookdale Plaza, Jacksonville, NC 28546 OR phone: (910) 347-4774

William E. Port: Born Boston in 1940, I lived there until entering the Marine Corps 6Mar59, suffered the abuses of Parris Island with Platoon 218 and was, after ITR at Camp Geiger, assigned to "E" Company, 2nd Battalion of the 6th Marines. Along with a great many more of us, I volunteered for the Solant Amity Cruise and was reassigned to "G" Company in the fall of 1960. Because of an injury later sustained to my back, I was after leaving "G" Company assigned to a variety of administrative positions, the last of which being at the Material and Maintenance unit of Lejeune's 2nd Force Services Regiment. I left active duty on 5Mar63 but didn't, for some time, get away from J-ville.
Married while still in the Corps of 1961 to a gal from the Jacksonville community, I remained there for the better part of 15 years, working first as a brick layer/welder and later as a contractor. By 1985, I had moved back to Boston, the marriage had dissolved...after three children: two sons (Scott and Jeffrey) and a daughter (Shari) all of whom pursued careers in the Army and I'm quite proud of...and I continued to make a living as a contractor in Boston. But, that old back injury had followed me through the years until I found it necessary to obtain a spine fusion operation and a veteran's disability.

Thereafter, I owned and operated a shoe repair shop in the Cape Cod area, where I've remained ever since, retiring from all working efforts in 2001.
The Solant Cruise, my four years in the Corps and a host of my more youthful transgressions appear to become more vivid and more exciting as the years begin to slide by, ever the more fast. To all those that shared with me those times, those experiences and the lasting memories I send a heart felt Semper fi.
Forget email efforts, I've passed the point where I'm comfortable with keyboards. But, if you're up to the long handed approach, write to 42 Wareham Lake Shore Drive, East Wareham, MA 02538. I can't begin to express how glad I would be to hear from you.

Charles E. Wilson : Born in 1939 and being of divorced parents, I was raised in Montclair, New Jersey and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, kind of back and forth situation. My USMC active duty began in April 1959 at the age of 19, when I left the parental disapproval of Philadelphia for the world's long acknowledged nurturing environment of Parris Island, South Carolina. There, the drill instructors of Platoon 122 picked up where my parents had left off, only the DIs were much, much L O U D E R.
After graduating from boot camp, like the rest of the gang, I continued on to Infantry Training Regiment (ITR), at Camp Geiger. Upon leaving ITR and taking a short leave, I was reassigned to G Company, 2nd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, 2nd MarDiv, Camp LeJeune, North Carolina, where I spent my whole 30 month input with the 2nd Platoon of Golf Company. After making several trips to Vieques, Puerto Rico, it was time for Solant Amity, South America and Africa. I remembered the short timers in G-2-6 were always talking about how great GOOD WILL cruises were, so when Solant came along I was ready to go and sure wasn't disappointed - Brazil, Cape Town, Canary Islands, Spain, it was great.
Upon returning to Swamp Lagoon and the 6th Marine area, I figured it was time for a change, as I was wearing out the main service road with my boots. It was clear that what I really needed was something easier on my feet. However, not wanting to appear as though I were pampering myself, I chose the path of "tough love" and volunteered in 1962 for a tour of duty at Marine Barracks, Bermuda where I made corporal and found the duty...OUTSTANDING!!!
There were 35 Marines, 5 Staff NCOs and 3 Officers on that island paradise. I never took any leave. I was afraid the island might not be there when I returned. It was there I busted up my left knee pretty bad and was med-evac'd to the USNH Philadelphia (home), where there was another windfall.
I was reassigned to the Marine Barracks Philadelphia upon being discharged from the hospital, made sergeant, and drove COM4, Admiral Thomas Cavanagh for about 18 months.
Things were going well when the Sergeant Major stepped in and talked me into a re-enlistment to go aviation. And, after a short school in Pensacola, Florida, I was once again banished to the badlands of North Carolina, assigned to a photo recon squadron, VMCJ-2 at Cherry Point, just up the road apiece from that never forgotten "main service road" and Camp LeJeune. Well, as life and even a little bit of intellect would have it, by 1966 I figured "enough was enough." I took a small disability for my knee and headed back to Philly, eliminating entirely the prospect that I would ever walk that main service road again.
Now, being lost without a rank structure and adult supervision, I decided to try the color blue. Joining the Philadelphia Police Department, I thought it would be great not having anyone yelling and telling me what to do. How wrong I was. Very quickly, I learned that I was to continue working for corporals, sergeants, lieutenants, captains, the equivalents of colonels and executives thinking themselves generals. All I did was trade green for blue. Spending my "blue suit" time in a uniformed patrol district, then transferring to Gang Control, then to Juvenile, Juvenile to City Wide Vice...where, for a time, I worked alongside Lieutenant De Bonaventura...then, and finally, I moved onto Organized Crime. After twenty years and all that fun, however, it was 1987 and I was beginning to think that it was time to retire. So, I did, for the first time. Along with Debo by the way.
During this time of laudable and intelligent performance with the Philly P.D., I married Margaret Catherine Mahoney. She worked for Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) at the time and we did a lot of traveling. Sadly, though, never to Capetown.
After giving up the blue suit of the PPD, Margaret and I moved to Orlando, where the Navy was looking for criminal investigators. Margaret had worked for Universal Studios as a marketing manager (obviously, being the smarter one of the family) until we decided it was time for a dual retirement and my triple-dip pension plan: PPD, Federal and SS. Thus, in 2004, we packed everything up for a second time and relocted still further south to Naples, Florida.

[Editor's Note: It is with regret that we announce the death of Charles Wilson on 11 September 2009. Below is posted the notification provided by Charlie's wife, Peggy:

I am so sorry to be sending an e-mail to give you this news, but feel it is the most efficient way to contact you all.

We lost Charlie on Friday morning following what was a very long and valiant fight against cancer. He kept his wonderful sense of humor to the end and never asked “why me?” I was and continue to be so proud of him – he was such a fighter and so courageous – he made his Marine Corps proud I’m sure.

We are having a memorial service here in Naples at 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday, September 15th, at the Fuller Funeral Home, 1625 Pine Ridge Road. It will be very brief, but will provide an opportunity for closure for all of us. If you are in the area, I’m sure we’ll see you there. If not, please remember him in your prayers. Please do not send flowers – he wouldn’t want that, nor do I. We both love animals so very much so if you see fit, a donation to your local animal shelter would go a long way toward making their lives a bit easier. If you would prefer, we couldn’t have made it through these last weeks without Avow Hospice of Naples – their care allowed for Charlie to maintain his dignity throughout and allowed for a peaceful passing. They could also use your support.

Your calls, your cards and your letters meant so much to both of us during the past three years and helped him to know he was never alone in this fight. We are so fortunate to have you all in our lives,

Much love, Peg

May his soul rest in peace.

Charlie Wilson

Ken Kollai

Ed Shea

Jack Baker, Paul Malone & Ed Hart








Charlie Wilson (2nd Platoon), Ken Kollai and Ed Shea of the 3rd raised their glasses in celebration of the Corp's birthday on 10 November 2005 during a luncheon together in Naples, Florida. None had seen the others since 1962! The time since and the luncheon went by all too fast.
Charlie has since deceased.[See biography above.]

21Nov15: Ed Hart's "USS Hooligan" docked in the Sneads Ferry area and Jack Baker and I met up with our old buddy. It was amazing the amount of memory recall we all had when talking about G/2/6, the Solant Amity cruise and other deployments we made to the garden island (Vieques, PR). EJ is on his way South today but we are all looking forward to his return... whenever it might be.
It was a great visit, prompted by but a phone call a few months back. Semper Fi to all our website's readers. Paul Malone

If you have PI graduation photos or information concerning any of the above individuals, please contact the site webmaster.

Return to Home page, view the biographies of 1st Platoon, 3rd Platoon and Weapons Platoon members thus far contacted, see Solant Amity Cruise or Santa Maria Incident related photographs. To see service and cruise related Anecdotes... both literal and photographic or a tribute to the Marines on the Hermitage.
Maybe you would like to read the Comments of Marines and Sailors visiting the site or an ever-expanding array of Links & Things.
Or, perhaps you would just like to see some recent photos of the Corps' Parris Island Training Center.