The following biographies, recent photos and contact information belong to the the members of 3rd Platoon "G" Company, 2nd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment of the 2nd Marine Division's Fleet Marine Force at Camp LeJeune, North Carolina taking part in the U.S. Navy's Solant Amity I Cruise to South America and Africa, from November 1960 through April of 1961. This page contains biographies of members with last names beginning with A-F. Others are found at G-Z.

Delwin E. Bailey : On 12Dec03, the long search for Delwin E. "Bill" Bailey came to an end. He's been found.
Born 1933 in Livingston Manor, New York, Delwin joined the Corps in 1953, graduated with the Parris Island "Post Honor Platoon" 121 that year and was sent to Pendleton for Advanced Infantry Training. His first assignemnt was in Korea with the weapons platoon of "A" Company - 1-1 and with the exception of tours at Quantico's Demonstration Training and a stint with the Brooklyn Navy Yard, Delwin "Bill" Bailey served the balance of his service time with infantry units in Korea, Okinawa, Camp LeJeune and Vietnam where he served with CACO 3-4 and CACO 1-4.
In 1957, he had been reassigned from Okinawa, first to 1st Battalion of the 8th Marines and then slid over to "G" Company, 2nd Battalion, 6th Marines, where he became part of our lot and remained with the 6th Marines until, once again, sent to Okinawa.
In 1965, he was reassigned to Vietnam and in February 1966, after being shot in the wrist and arm, returned to CONUS for a year long stint in a Philadelphia hospital while rehabilitating. Offered a 20% disability retirement, he declined, signed a waiver and returned for more VERY active duty in VN, with CACO 3-4.

On 28Nov67, he stepped on a landmine, had 65 pieces of shrapnel removed from his legs, buttocks, back and arm, was provided 45 days of recuperative leave stateside and returned again to VN in Jan/Feb '68 to serve with Headquarters CACO 1-4, located in Phu Bai.
In late 1970, he returned to CONUS and was assigned to DeltaCompany 1st Batalion, 6th Marines. Finally, thereafter, assigned to Headquarters of the 2nd Battalion, 8th Marines, he retired as a Gunnery Sergeant on 31Dec72. Belated Kudos to you "Gunny" on your well deserved retirement.

The long retired Gunnery Sergeant Delwin E. "Bill" Bailey has no contact with computers, so you can only reach "Old Bill" Bailey by mail at Orchid Lake Travel Resort, 8225 Arevee Drive, Lot 853, New Port Ritchey, FL 34653-1403 or calling 1-727-845-8083.
[Drop the man a card or letter, at the very least. Of all the men with whom we are in contact, Bill has shown the most consistent appreciation for what we have accomplished with our website: Interaction.]

David C. A. Beraudo was born [ 1940 ] in Boston and raised in Winthrop, Massachusetts. After H.S. graduation, I spent some time in Colorado and then returned to the east coast to attend St. Anselms in New Hampshire. It was there that I first connected with the Corps and enrolled in a USMC Platoon Leader Course. When, in 1959, I dropped out of college I found myself with the same military obligation of four years active duty the rest of "G" Company 2/6 was part of.
That active duty began on 4/7/59. My 12 week indoctrination to all things military began with Parris Island Platoon 222 and was immediately followed by one month of infantry training at the Corp's east coast facility for that sort of thing at Camp Geiger, North Carolina. Then, assigned to the 6th Marine Regiment and provided a bit of leave, I spent more than a year traveling and training with the 6th, mostly in the Caribbean.
Around October of 1961, it was announced that the Battalion wanted volunteers for a six-month stint with "G" Company to the South Atlantic and places having not seen U.S. Marines since WWII, if ever. Sounding pretty good, I went. And loved it.
Thereafter, I was for varying lengths of time assigned to 2nd Division Marine Rifle Team, then a boring support Battalion as an office poge and finally, after calling in a favor or two and providing someone a case of Scotch, I managed to have myself transferred to the Naval Disciplinary Command [ read: brig]
in Portsmouth, New Hampshire from which I exited the Corps as a Corporal E-4 on 4/6/63.
Quickly accepted into the greater "unwashed" plebian class of America, I worked for a few years in the family business, thereafter competed with some 14,000 candidates and obtained one of the one-hundred and forty job available with the Massachusetts State Police.

Dave & Debra 2010
[Click image for larger version]
After a failed marriage and the good fortune of having a son, named Michael, I retired from the MSP with a disability and moved to Florida with my second wife, Debra. There we spent most of the next five years living "on the hook" in a 44 foot trawler traveling to and fro stateside Stuart, Florida to the Bahamas.
In 1988, a year now thought of as our "Winter of Discontent," tired of life in air conditioned environments, we returned north to live in New Hampshire. However, having never forgotten the wonders of Colorado first experienced by myself back in 1958, Debra and I bought some land there in '95, had a house built in '97, moved in and remain there to this day.
The Solant Amity I Cruise to South America and Africa provided ample opportunity for the lot of us, so VERY YOUNG men, to see parts of the world few of us would ever again get the chance to. Perhaps, not even want to. But, both in small and greater ways, while supporting our country's objectives, we acquired for ourselves memories of places, events and people not to be replaced. Memories that bring smiles to our faces. A big Semper Fi to you all.

Having no email address, I can be reached by dropping a line to: Dave Beraudo, P.O. Box 1072, Estes Park 80517

George Bitsoli, born in 1942, I spent my early years in Manhattan on 104th Street, between 2nd and 3rd Avenues, known alternately as the East Harlem or Spanish Harlem area.
Enlisting in April of 1959, doing my recruit training at Paris Island, SC, a one month infantry training gig at Camp Geiger, I was first assigned to "Hotel" Company, 2nd Battalion of the 6th Marine Regiment at Camp LeJeune, NC. And there I remained to do the first first half of my 30 month stint with the infantry. THEN, for my second half, I did what we were told never to do...raise a hand to volunteer, but was glad I did, as I joined up with my fellow 3rd Platoon members of fabulous "G" Company. After gathering my gear I made the giant leap of a transfer to new quarters, the other wing of the same barracks, and we all came together.

[For some of my more vivid recollections of time served in 3-G-2-6 check out
"Where's the War?" and "Amphibious Helicopter!" in Anecdotes page.]

After ending the second half of my "obligation" to the infantry, I was transferred to HQ Company, Field Artillery Group. Like Ed Shea, I thought those office poges had it kind of soft, so I applied for a clerk typist slot at S3 Operations. I didn't know how to type, spell or count. Hell, I barely knew the difference between pencils and stencils...but faked it. Working for a Major, Master and Staff Sergeants that tolerated much by way of my being "keyboard challenged," they never exiled me to mess duty. They were great folks. We went to Fort Bragg for a couple of weeks for joint exercises with the Army units and live-fire field training for the 155's Self-propelled and Honest John Missiles. There, I put my infantry skills to work by being part of the aggressor forces, running harassment actions on all the Batteries. The Major loved that. Then, it was time for some more shipboard life as part of the mount out for the Cuban Missile Crises.
In April of 1963, I left the marine Corps, as an E-4 Corporal.
Returning to New York City, I worked for a motion picture theater group as an Assistant Manager of their two movie theaters in Manhattan: the Kips Bay (2nd Avenue Midtown) and the 72nd Street Playhouse (east... between 1st Avenue and East River Drive).
Our mate John Hynes had joined the NYC Police force, and at times his beat would be in the area of the Kips Bay theater, and he would stop in to take his break and chat. It was good to keep up the inane banter with him. It reminded me of us all back in the Barracks.
Thereafter, I transferred to fully manage a theater in Brick Town, New Jersey just north of Toms River. As it happened to be where one of my sisters was living in 1965, I crashed with her. Then I took a spot as assistant manager with a retail store chain (Robert Hall Clothing , if any one recalls that defunct organization).
Finally, in mid-67, I moved to San Diego California, then just a little south to Chula Vista. (Tijuana North if anyone is familiar with this area). I worked for Zellerbach Paper Company, the distribution arm of the Crown Zellerbach Corporation which ran the forests, paper mills and manufacturing/converting plants. Things were stable until the mid 1980's, when all the Corporate Raiders were running around. So after over a hundred years in business, Crown Z was taken over. Our side (distribution) was sold off to James River Corporation which only wanted the mills and plants but not us, so they resold us to the Mead Corporation, and became Zellerbach, A Mead Company. Then, in the mid 90's, we were again sold, this time to International Paper and became Xpedx, their national distribution arm.
Deciding I didn't want to play anymore, I left them in November of 2000. And, so far, I've struck up no new endeavors, preferring to enjoy a break before returning to the treadmill.

All that while, I lived in Chula Vista, which was very convenient, as the office was but two miles from me. So, when one thinks of being on the tread mill this was truly apropos. Still here. Same Place. Same Thing ( like that old TV ad ) Even kept on rooting for my Dodgers, though I avoid going to LA-LA-Land as I hate to SEE what I breathe.
I've never married but, then, I've not been without other hobbies.
For example, the husband [ Frank ] of one of the Ladies at Zellerbach, and Scott his friend, a young chap also from NYC, were musically inclined and we decided that we were going to create and send out song demos. Frank had written some tunes during his Hippie days, but never acted on them. So I faked it, trying to be dude Sammy the Sound Man. (No music talent here) So we put together gear for a home recording studio, which I still have, and recorded several tunes, with "some help from our friends," on different tunes and tracks. Help, like women's voices to change leads or doing doubling or backgrounds or variations. Some folksy, some country style, Gospel, even "you name it, you claim it" type, but all-in-all they came out very listenable.
It was fun, and kept us off the street corners and out of trouble. Eventually, however, Frank and Scott both moved off to a town near Nashville, Tennessee and I remained in Californ-i-a.
Hey! Contact me at any time. It would be great to again share both new thoughts and older reflections. With all the stuff going on in the world and so many things to relate or share, the discussions could get very lively.
Drop a bit of snail mail to me at 379 "K" Street #7, Chula Vista, CA 91911. Or, give me a call or a FAX at 1-619-427-2256. I have an answering machine on call-screen mode, so keep talking for a brief while. If there and I recognize a friendly voice, I'll pick up. If I don't pickup leave a Voice Message.
Then, of course, there is the internet. My connection is a broadband cable connection, so the system is up-and-running all day and capable of receiving whatever it is you would like to send without slowing anything down.
I look forward to hearing from you and wish you all the very best that life still offers, and even more fulfillment of everyone's aspirations and endeavors. If sending an E-mail, I can be reached at .

Kenneth O. Brinlee : Born in Oklahoma, I spent 12 years in Long Beach, New York before entering the Marine Corps in September of 1958. After Parris Island and ITR, I did a stint in Arlington, Virginia before being reassigned to the 2nd Battalion, 6th Marines at Lejeune. Then came our Solant Amity joyride with G-2-6 before I was once again being sent North. This time to Quantico, VA where I spent my last few months in the Corps with a Water Rescue Unit.
It was while assigned at Quantico, in 1962, that I met and married Anita, with whom I had two daughters. She passed away in 1980 after a long and painful illness. And now, I've three really great grand-kids: two girls and a boy.
Leaving the Corps, I found myself doing autobody repair work, then moving to Oklahoma City, eventually opening my own body shop, which I sold only last year (2005). Bored with just sitting around, I found myself back at the helm working for a parts supply house nearby. If you don't keep the mind moving, the body soon follows.
A lot of years have passed since we shared a hot cup of coffee on the mess deck of one ship or another. More than forty. Yet, sometimes, it seems like only yesterday that we sailed from shore to shore, humped those many hills of Viegues or scratched the incessant itch borne of chigger bites at Lejeune. Times neither again captured nor forgotten.
Please drop me a line 2312 SW 103rd Terrace, Oklahoma City, OK 73159 or call 1- 405- 692- 4722. I'll be here. A big SEMPER FI to all hands.

Samuel Buffardi: Born 1941 and raised in Port Chester, New York; I entered the Marine Corps on 4/1/59, did my basic with Platoon 220 on Parris Island and a month of infantry training at Camp Geiger, North Carolina.
I was first assigned, in August of 1959, to Echo Company, 2nd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment at Camp LeJeune, North Carolina. Thereafter, around October of 1961, I was reassigned - after volunteering - for the "G" Company tour of the South Atlantic.
At the end of the infantry phase of my life, there remained little more than a year before my enlistment would expire. Having acquired the ability to shoot the black out of target for .45's, I was sent to Okinawa as a "smokey-the-bear-hat-wearin'" marksmanship trainer!!!! While on "The Rock," I managed to swing leave time in mainland China. Finally, with but three months remaining on my four year enlistment, I was transferred stateside and returned via civilian transit [ to my delight ] to find myself with a one month unscheduled and appreciated early release at the end of March 1963.

It was time to work for a living. Early on I owned and operated a bar/restaurant in upstate New York. Then I started a tile business and have operated it ever since both in New York and now in Florida.
Married and now divorced, I'm proud of being the father of two wonderful children, Donna and Sam. T
hey shall always mean a great deal to me.
Our Solant Amity I Cruise to South America and Africa provided me with one hell of a lot of memories never forgotten and often spoken of.
I can be reached by contacting the webmaster , who can relay your interest in contacting me.
Semper Fi.

Arthur J. Busbee : [ DECEASED] Born, raised and educated in Reynolds, GA "Buzz'' - prompted by a friend's suggestion that they join the service together [in the tenth grade] - entered the Marine Corps on 5/8/58. His friend, initially, failed his medical but Buzz, well, he soon found himself doing push-ups at the Parris Island Marine Corps Recruit Depot in SC. It was a year later before his friend caught up with him.
Finishing his infantry training at Camp Geiger, he was assigned to Golf Company, 2nd Battalion, 6th Marines in August of 1958 and had a year of mostly shipboard life in the Caribbean and the Med even before Controlled Input was initiated. During that time, he acquired a High School Equivalency [GED] and, along with his friend, graduated right along with their former classmates at Taylor County HS in June of 1960.
It was after another 15 months of life aboard APA's, LSTs and LPH-4 [ the USS Boxer] that a proposal for taking part in Solant Amity I was offered. With the Caribbean and Mediterranean already under Buzz's belt, the prospect of adding South American and Africa to the many places he'd already been sounded pretty exciting...and it was. Thus, by the spring of 1962 when leaving the Corps, he had endured and/or enjoyed some 45 months in the either PI, ITR or G-2-6 infantry. His closing months were at Quantico, VA where, with little enlistment time remaining, he was assigned to mess and guard duty at Quantico's Warrant Officer School.

Returning then to Reynolds, GA Buzz next went to Atlanta and found himself with a job operating a wire welding machine used in the production of propane tanks and by 1963 was working for Local 1316 of the Linemen's Worker Union. Until 1991, when he retired with a disability, he went wherever the work was. Public service utility companies from as far north as New Hampshire, south to Miami and west to Louisiana got to see him and his union crew as the need arose to maintain their electric distribution and high [energy] line services.
His one and only child, Angela, was born in 1968. Tragically, in 1973, Buzz and Angela lost a wife and her mother when a gun-toting thief...later captured and convicted...shot her to death in a convenience store hold-up.
Buzz remarried in 1985 but has since divorced
. He has three grandchildren, two boys and a gal. And, there are to date two great-grand daughters.
A day after our finding Buzz, he still remained excited about hearing from members of the G-2-6 community. "Man," he said, "I spoke with Driggins three times yesterday. And Ken Kollai. I'd thought of them many times over the years but NEVER thought I'd ever get to speak with them again. After more than 45 years, this has been absolutely amazing."
You can reach "Buzz" by writing to him at 1815 Boss Road in Reynolds, GA 31076, calling him at (478)235-0640 OR emailing the man at . Drop him a big "Semper fi."
[Note: "Buzz" died on 13Jul2012 in his home in Reynolds, GA at the age of 72. His funeral service was held on July 17th in the Chapel of McLeighton Funeral parlor. It was a private affair followed by burial. He had been member of IBEW Local #84 Union in Atlanta as an electrical service lineman. He is survived by his daughter, Angela Busbee Davis of Reynolds and one brother Paul Busbee; one step-daughter, Dana Jones; one sister, Gayenelle Duncan; two grandsons, Corey Davis and Justin Johnson; one grand-daughter, Amy Lynn Dean; three step-grandchildren, Samantha, Alicia, and Nicholas Jones; three great-grandchildren, Abigail and allison Dean and Rhiley Davis.]

Don Carter: As the days for us all grow short, may 'Buzz' enjoy fully his next duty station.
Ed Shea: When first making contact with "Buzz"after more than four decades, it was like so many other phone "reunions" I've experienced with members of the 3rd Platoon...exciting. Though our lives had taken different paths and our accents...Brooklyn, NY versus central Georgia...provided pause and communication difficulties for both of us, we had remained forever linked by those years of so very long ago. We exchanged stories of yesteryear, spoke of one-or-another member of our platoon with whom I had already made contact, as part of the Solant Amity search. He was beyond excited to learn that Bill Driggins and Ken Kollai were but phone calls away. And when we finished our FIRST phone call, he reached out to Bill and Ken and, when we again spoke, he announced how damn much fun it had been talking with them and rehashing our lives together

at Lejeune, aboard ship, in the field and abroad in places like Recife, Brazil. It's now five decades since we were together. Fifty years of work, providing for families and getting on with both the trials and pleasures of a full life. "Buzz" had done all of that. And, if you've read his biography, written shortly after I'd "found" him a few years back, you're aware of the one event so horrific in his life as to destroy a weaker man...the loss of his wife and daughter to a murderer. Yet, he both survived and endured with grace and incredible character.
When first we spoke, we spoke of Cape Town, South Africa and our having been among those who took advantage of the opportunity provided to visit and share dinner with a young couple of Cape Town. In mid-afternoon of a beautiful South-Atlantic summer afternoon, we stood in uniform at the quarterdeck and awaited the arrival of a writer for the New York Times. When he arrived, we stepped from the ship, exchanged introductions and pleasantries, proceeded to his car and drove to an apartment complex in downtown Cape Town.
There we met his very attractive wife and five year old daughter.
The evening, dinner and conversation flowed as comfortably as if Buzz and I were part of their family. And, perhaps most astonishingly, after our five collective years in the Marines neither of us made the classic and irreverent faux pas of asking for someone to please "pass the potatoes." Surviving dinner, Buzz and I washed and dried the dishes...something that might have surprised the couple...and shortly afterwards, they asked if we would like to take a trip with them the following day. We did.
They picked us up at the ship and we proceeded north out of town and then east. In doing so, we were availed the opportunity to see -- without comment -- the impacts of apartheid, the detention centers, and the squalid living conditions common to so many nations Buzz and I had already seen in the Caribbean, South America and Africa and that so few Americana ever see or learn of in classrooms and textbooks.
He and I spoke of times, places and events -- like the capture of the pirated passenger liner, Santa Maria -- that we were engaged in, not as bystanders but participants, and thought how lucky we were at being part of making history.
I and the many Marines of the 3rd Platoon will miss "Buzz" Busbee.

Donald E. Carter : Born in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1942, I entered the USMC on 4/15/59 out of Boston and graduated with Parris Island Platoon 222-59. After ITR at Camp Geiger, I was assigned to "H" Company 2nd Battalion, 6th Marines. When Solant Amity was announced, like most participants, I volunteered to join up with G-2- 6 for the six month "cruise" to the South Atlantic and the balance of my stint with controlled input. When my thirty month infantry duty obligation was over with, I was reassigned to Newport Navel War College, Newport, Rhode Island where I finished up my four year active duty requirement in April 1963.
I married in 1962. Bonnie and I have four children and two grand-children.

Not long after exiting the Corps I began the process that led to my ultimate career of some 32 years with the Boston Police Department, during which time and taking advantage of Uncle Sam's dollar-for-scholars program, I accumulated a Baccalaureate Degree in Illustration & Graphic Design that today would be called "Commercial and Fine Arts." This came with a Degree in Teaching.
Later I acquired a Master Degree in Criminal Justice. It, along with the many "on the job" advantages

Don & Bonnie in their Massachusetts home - 2008

that such a degree provides when you're a cop — not the least important of which being a "proficiency" pay differential — are still paying dividends.
I'd been doing art work of differing kinds over the years while still with the BPD. And now, retired since 2002, I've all the time in the world to do so.
It would take another quite dramatic something to match my surprise when hearing the voice of Trevor Davies after nearly five, count them -- five, decades. And, mind you, I've yet to see any part of what I'm told is greater than 35 megabytes of "stuff" — including four years of newsletters — on the Solant Amity website. How much shock can one soul take?
I'm really looking forward to contacting some of the many friends of yesteryear found amongst this very long list of biographies.
My email address is .
Semper fi to you all; Don.

Jerry T. Crawford : [DECEASED] Jerry had been in contact with Solant Amity via email but each time chose to keep his specific whereabouts to himself, except for saying he'd lived in the Indianapolis, Indiana area. Then, his email address disappeared into the ethernet. It is still hoped that we shall be able to learn more about the man and his life over the last fifty years.
On September 26th, 2010 the following email was received from Jerry's son:

Hi, this is Jay Crawford son of Jerry T. Crawford, I am writing to let you know that my dad passed away on July 21, 2010 due to cancer. He loved the Marine Corps and never gave up against his battle with cancer. He fought it to the very end. He is buried in Crown Hill Cemetary in Indianapolis.

May his soul rest in peace.

William C. Daley, Jr. WILLIAM C. Daley, JR.: Born 1940, I was raised and then joined the Corps out of Philadelphia in 1959. Like all that joined the USMC at the time, I did the three month "stint" at Parris Island in Platoon 223-59, followed by a month of infantry training at Camp Geiger, NC before being posted to the 2nd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment at Camp Lejeune, NC. Though first assigned to "H" Company where I served for 15 months, I along with a great many men of "H" transferred to "G" Company in the fall of 1960 to take part in the memorable South Atlantic [SoLant] Amity "Goodwill" Cruise...and not too strangely, about the same time the United Nation's was engaged in intervention efforts in the newly “liberated” Congo region.
I still remember all that “extra” training we received stateside: “jump” [from 5 foot high platforms to the soft sand below] school and rubber boat excursions at the Onslow Beach Recon facility where we were ordered to deliberately overturn, then upright and re-board the craft while watching and laughing about our non-swimmers struggling for air in the crashing surf. When, finally, we departed CONUS aboard the USS Graham County in November, our first stop was another of the Corps’ favorite recreation areas: Vieques, PR.

There,… except for myself, Ed Shea and but a few more who were forced to stay aboard and guard the amtracs and “C” rations below deck… “G” Company engaged in further and more realistic infantry tactical training with what seemed like an unending supply of munitions. It was then, for the first time, I learned for sure that the sailors ALWAYS ate better after the troops disembarked.
Hauling anchor, we proceeded first to Trinidad, then Brazil for Christmas and three days of depravity never, EVER to be forgotten.

After some time and a visit to the Canary Islands, we…all of us this time…wound up where the US Navy Department and the Marine Corps wanted us to be, the west coast of Africa. There we stayed for most of the next few months in the Gulf of Guinea, within striking distance of the former Belgian Congo and its ongoing revolution. And, if it the Gulf of Guinea region had little to offer by way of pleasantries, just being there made for one hell of a lesson in geography and, above all else, poverty. To have been there is to KNOW that Americans have NO IDEA of what real poverty IS.
Amidst all this “schooling” though, we of the 3rd herd found ourselves dispatched to the destroyer USS Gearing DD-710 for a few weeks of service not seen by Marines since WWII…and only then, if you had been in a Raider Battalion. Along with the 1st Squad of the 1st Platoon on the destroyer USS Vogelgesang and 2nd Squad of the 1st on the USS Wilson, we …with the help of half a dozen naval vessels, including a submarine… assisted in capturing the passenger liner Santa Maria, pirated by “terrorist” Henrique Galvao and THEN pulling still more outrageous liberty in Recife, Brazil. Could life be grander? Really!

After that, much was samey-same and anti-climatic, until the closing months of the adventure and we arrived in Capetown, South Africa and later proceeded to Spain before returning to CONUS as the saltiest and probably most experienced infantry “trained” company in the United States military.
Closing out my experience in the infantry and what amounted to nearly two years of traveling in the Caribbean and South Atlantic, I was reassigned to Philadelphia’s Marine Barracks for security duty and an “early out” exit from the Marine Corps in March 1963.
Thereafter, I worked in retail sales and the like until September ’66 when I became part of the Philadelphia Fire Department. After training, I was assigned first to an engine company…that’s a hose company as opposed to a ladder unit, for those of you unfamiliar with Rescue Me. Working in differing units over the first decade or so, I was promoted to Lieutenant and every three years thereafter was ...because of Department policy …required to move to another unit. After 31 years with the PFD, I retired in 1997 to a life of fishing and doing as much as I…and my wife, Carol, please.
Married in 1969, Carol and I have three children [one gal and two guys] and four grandchildren.
After our years of vacationing on the South Jersey shore, Carol…who is still in working mode…and I chose to move where we’d enjoyed so many years together with the kids and still have another place as well in Frisco, on Cape Hatteras, NC.
Those four years in the Corps were quite something. It was our first taste of what the world today calls multiculturalism. Learning to share space, ideas and life experiences with folks of all colors, races and religions. And we volunteered for it!!! Most mutts of our time had to be drafted to get that sort of an education. And then there is the “personal discipline” acquired that has served us throughout our lives. And the travel opportunities promised by the Navy to sailors, who rarely get to spend as much time as we “grunts” did at sea…on Uncle Sam’s nickel!
Not bad. And SoLant Amity? It was the precious gem of a journey among a trickster’s bag full of lesser stones.
Which brings me, lastly, to seeing it all portrayed again on a website of a staggering 200 megabytes in size. Photos and anecdotes about everything from our arrivals at Parris Island to the much later circum-navigation of Sergeant Ed Hart aboard a 29 foot sailboat, begun when he was 65!!!
Talk about a dream and a life fulfilled. Speak and read of “We chosen few. We band of aging brothers. We, STILL, Marines.”
Drop me an email at: . Semper fi.

Trevor E. Davies: [DECEASED] born in 1941 and raised in Weymouth, Massachusetts. After completing my efforts with the local school system, I began USMC active duty on 4/28/59 with Platoon 224 at Parris Island, South Carolina. Upon graduation, I proceeded to the Infantry Training Regiment [ITR], Camp Geiger, North Carolina. After which, and 10 days leave, I reported only next door from Geiger to Hotel Company - 2nd Battalion - 6th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, FMF, Camp LeJeune, North Carolina.
While with H/2/6, we made a number of three month cruises to train on Vieques Island, Puerto Rico and, generally, to provide US military surveillance and security in the Caribbean. After a year with H/2/6, I transferred to G/2/6 for the six month Solant Amity I cruise and remained with G/2/6, making still more trips to the Caribbean, until transferred to Marine Barracks, West Loch Naval Ammunition Depot, Pearl Harbor, Oahu, Hawaii in 1962.

All tolled, the thirty month stint with the 6th Marines resulted in 1 year 10 months and 18 days onboard ships or on foreign lands. The seven months - less two months leave - spent at LeJeune only SEEMED longer because a day there felt like a week.
At Pearl Harbor, I reached the rank of Corporal E4 and left the Marine Corps only after completing
a still further enlistment extension resulting from the emerging Vietnam crisis.

Trevor & Ed Shea

Recommended for a re-enlistment, which I ignored, I was Honorably Discharged after 5 years and 3 months of active duty service in 1965.
Returning to Massachusetts, I apprenticed for 5 years as a sheet metal worker ultimately rating sheet metal mechanic/journeyman status. A function I perform to this day. As of October 2002, inclduing time with locals 17 and more recently 17 of the Sheet metal Workers International Association, I've now been a been a sheet metal worker/foreman for 39 years.
Marrying on September 27, 1969, my wife of 31 years...Ruth...and I have two children: my daughter Melanie, born July 2, 1970 and my son Trevor, born November 15, 1971. My daughter and her husband have provided us with three grandchildren: Robbie, age 6 and Melissa, age 4 and 8 pound/7 ounce Matthew born on 8/1/02. Trevor Jr. remains single.
I must confess, the leadership qualities that I learned in the Marine Corps assisted me in performing my supervisory responsibilities

Trevor & Ruth

as a sheet metal foreman on many a job site during my working career, with the only difference being that I have always treated the men MORE than a little differently and with greater respect than we were treated in the Corps. Semper Fi. Email me at: .

Trevor once told me that he kept our every correspondence. I wished I had access to them now as so much has occurred in the development of the Solant Amity Association since he and I reconnected in 2001, thirty-one years after last seeing one another in 1962. And, as those of you who have taken advantage of the mailing list and gotten together with others in the G-2-6 family of old can attest, when meeting again it is as though we'd separated only yesterday. In fact, the wives never get over seeing their husbands throwing barbs at oneanother like they had only yesterday been golfing or the like, and not the actual more than forty years.
It was in '01, after his reading of an article I'd written for the destroyer USS Gearing's website describing the February 1961 pursuit and capture of the pirated Portuguese passenger liner Santa Maria off the coast of Brazil. In seeing my email address, he dropped me a line and wrote about trying to find still more of us and of creating a website, now fourteen years old, containing more than 170 megabytes of history, comments, anecdotes, photos and videos of OUR era.
But his interest in Corps' activities hadn't begun with our Association, indeed, it never stopped. Long affiliated with VFW, in 1992 he thought it appropriate that there be a New England branch of the "2nd Marine Division, so he started one.
And, in March 1993, in the Quincey Massachusetts Veteran's Memorial Stadium, having amassed more than 600 members, he and the handful of men responsible for its initiation, before an audience of 6000, were provided the Charter for the New England Chapter of the 2nd Marine Division.
And then, there were his extraordianry efforts with and for the Toys-for-Tots program, along with greatest of his Marine friends retired Gunnery Sergeant Bob "Whiskey" Wuschke, as they canvassed stores and supermarkets in the Boston area asking permission to use their premises on behalf of the foundation for each of four weekends during every Christmas season.

Then, never still, he searchd relentlessly in an effort to find more and more of the 3rd Platoon. Then the entire Company of G-2-6. Then those of the extended flock, including Marines in attached units and sailors of various ships of the Solant Amity expedition. And, once found, he more than any other member of the Association would call and speak regularly with not only the many with whom he was close back in the day...but others on our Personnel Roster with whom he developed new and lasting friendships. His respect for the Corps, its Marines and their impacts on our culture, our country, never once wavered. For near fifty years he remained the consummate Marine, husband, father and grand-parent.
And then in June of 2014, he and his wife, Ruth, were dumbstruck along with their entire family when within but a few days of one another they were both diagnosed with Stage Four cancer.
For the better part of a year they endured the failings of the medical profession, lung surgery, extensive chemo-therapy, levels of emotional stress beyond the comprehensions of most, economic threats, PAIN and ultimately the loss of their lives to cancer. Trevor died on 4/14/15. His wife Ruth only three weeks later on 5/3/15.
The last step in that terribly long and painful experience of Trevor and Ruth Davies was taken, Tuesday 19May15, when together they were interred at the National Cemetery in Bourne, Massachusettes.
Below are the comments provided to me by Don Carter of the 3rd Platoon, G-2-6 of 1960-61, who attended the interment ceremony:

“My wife, Bon-a-bee, and I attended the funeral for Trevor and Ruth Davies. The day was unseasonably cool; the rain a gentle one. The setting provided a perfect backdrop for the final farewell to a through-and-through Marine and his beloved mate. The crowd was small, the priest's eulogy short and appropriate, given the limited time allotted for each ceremony. In compliance with Veteran’s Administration requirements, all of the following emotional and decorous events occurred within fifteen minutes.
“The priest concluded a short homily and then invited the Marine Honor Guard, sharp as a well honed blade, in full dress blues, each bedecked with combat star crested ribbons, to present the neatly folded stars and stripes. With deeply felt pride, I watched the young warrior...a Sergeant…accept from the flag folding contingent our nation’s colors and then smartly present that flag to Trevor’s daughter. The Sergeant then took a knee and in muted tone delivered the Marine Corps’ condolences and, with a gloved hand gently placed on hers, finished with a brief expression of thanks and appreciation.
"I could hear it in only broken pieces “….for your fathers service…on behalf of a grateful nation…the Marine Corps....” What I hadn’t heard was in great part because I had been taken with a sudden onset of "wet eye,” needing handkerchief attention.

Trevor's & Ruth's
son Trevor and daughter Melanie


“As things were winding down, I managed to spend a few minutes with Trevor Jr. and his flag recipient sister, Melanie. I conveyed to them the 3rd Herd’s
heartfelt condolences and our sense of loss. I then asked if I could take a few pictures, to which they graciously agreed.
“I had intended to take pictures of the Marine Honor Guard, but thought it rude to do so without permission from his son and daughter. I wasn't able to speak with them until after the ceremony.
“Ed, let the rest of the Herd, indeed all of our Association’s members, know what happened here today and that they, through our Association, were all there.
“Semper fi; Don”

All that knew him will miss him. All that knew THEM will miss the couple so devoutely supportive of oneanother. May they enjoy the company of oneanother through eternity. And may their souls rest in Peace.

James E. Dershem : Born in 1939 and raised in Farrandsville, PA., I jumped at a four year stint in the Corps in Wilkes-Barre back in April 1959. Off I went to Parris Island's sand fleas and screaming drill instructors for 12 weeks and then four weeks infantry training [ITR] at Camp Geiger, in Jacksonville, NC. Assigned then to "G" Company, 2nd Battalion of the 6th Marines at Camp Lejeune, given two weeks leave, and returning to duty I stepped into fulfilling what was to be 30 months in the infantry as part of something called controlled input.
Fifteen months later "G" Company was to be part of an alleged goodwill cruise to Africa, where many nations were breaking away from colonial Europe's domination. It was to be our nation's hands-across-the-border approach to diplomacy and all hands going had to volunteer for it...and anything else that occurred in the area while we were there.
Well, we did a lot on that cruise: Crossed the equator, captured a pirated vessel as part of a destroyer's crew, nearly became involved in a Congolese war, and pulled liberty in some of the grandest ( Recife, Brazil and Cape Town, SA) and worst (west African coastal) ports of the world. All-in-all, it beat the hell out of J-ville, NC and the barracks life of Lejeune.
Shipping-over for but a year and leaving G-2-6, I transferred to Subic Bay in the Philippines for 18 months of guard duty--proof positive that I wanted little more to do with Lejeune. And, in returning to CONUS around November of 1963, I left the Corps as a Lance Corporal in April 1964.
Returning then to my home town, I did what "you do:" got a job with Haven Home, a mobile home manufacturer in Beechcreek, PA; married a good woman, Nancy; had a son named Stephen that graduated from the Air Force Academy in 1988, who shifted then to the Marine Corps and after making Captain and flying A-6s exited the Corps in 1995. Clearly, both Nancy and I are quite proud of him.
And now, well I'm doing what a man retired since April [must be something about that month] 2004 is supposed to do: Whatever I please. Which includes hunting and fishing in places like Wyoming, Canada, Montana and Missouri or something as local as a cabin I have about 90 minutes from my home.
I couldn't have been anymore surprised or pleased of learning about the website and that so many men of my youth are still about. I've no email address, so if you've a mind to drop me a note at 22 Carrier Road, Farrandsville, PA 17745. I'd be glad to hear from you. Semper fi to you all....

Amadio DiBuonaventura: Born 1941 in Philadelphia, PA and enlisting in the Marine Corps on April 12, 1959 I did my basic training at Parris Island, SC with Platoon 321; thereafter proceeding to the Infantry Training Regiment at Camp Geiger, NC for a month of "stuff in the boonies" followed by my first real assignment: "F" Company, 2nd, Battalion, 6th Marines. It was to be a 30 month stint.
About half-way through the assignment, I volunteered for duty with "G" Company for what was called a good-will cruise of six month duration to the South American and African continents. The Mediterranean and Caribbean areas had long been "occupied" by U.S. Marines; this was going to be something really different. And, different it proved to be, for everyone: Marines, sailors and the people we were to meet. We were to visit places unimaginably exciting or, just as often, offering little more than a life in an impoverished dust bowl. For a 20 year old mutt like me to be seeing places like Recife, Brazil; Capetown, South Africa or the desolation of an Abidjan on the Ivory Coast of Africa was nothing short of "great!"
Upon return to CONUS, life on the "reservation" called Lejeune became what it had always been tedium; until, in the spring of '62, the salty-seniors of "G" were one at a time reassigned. I went to NAD in Earle, New Jersey until leaving the Corps on April 11, 1963.
It was only five months later that I entered the Philadelphia, PD's training academy, beginning a career that was to last nearly a quarter of a century. I was to spend most of my time in the 18th Police District in western Philly: 4 years in Highway Patrol...on a motorcycle, when appropriate; 3 years in the Juvenile Aid Program and, then after making Sergeant; a 13 year assignment with the Traffic Division. In 1983, I was promoted to Lieutenant, finishing up my career in the 17th Police District in South Philly, west of Broad Street; retiring in 1987.
It wasn't long after that that I began working as Operations Manager for Leonetti's Frozen Food Corporation and continued to do so for seven years, until retiring in 1997.
Now, I "be" a man of leisure.
Though marrying later than most, I was 28, Barbara and I remain married after 35 years. For that, our two sons and two grandchildren I am most grateful.
You'll find my contact information on the listing provided quarterly to our membership.

It has been a lot of years since those days in G-2-6 and I can but wish the very best for you all and provide a grand Semper Fi!!!

William "Billy" J. Driggins : Born In Ooltewah, Tennessee in 1942, I was raised in North Carolina and joined the Corps in 1959. Graduating with Parris Island Platoon 320-59 and after Camp Geiger's ITR, I was first assigned to "F" Company, 2nd Battalion, 6th Marines but joined "G" Company when volunteers were asked for despite being told that promotions to L/Cpl and above would be frozen as the Company already met the Table of Organization requirements. Being but eighteen, however, promotion wasn't on my most wanted list so much as adventure. Solant Amity offered that for sure but has also proven to be the threshold to a life-long association of brothers.
Despite the suggestion that controlled input meant thirty months with the infantry, I and a handful more found ourselves remaining with G-2-6 until our four year active duty commitment was over. Thus, it wasn't until 1963 I left, as a Lance Corporal, from G-2-6 and what I thought would be my last active duty contact with the Corps.
In early 1967 I re-uped, was given my old rank back, retrained for helicopter duty, assigned to HMM 774 and served in Vietnam until mid-year 1969, first as a Door Gunner and later as Crew Chief on a CH-46 Sea Knight. I packed it in thereafter and left the Corps, once more, this time as an E5 Sergeant. My official connection with the military, however, continued until 1990 when I retired as an E7 from the North Carolina National Guard's "B" Company of the 120th Infantry Regiment.
While all of the latter was going on, I'd gotten married, had two children ( Kelly Joe and Kenneth), put them through college, got a divorce and worked -- after leaving the Corps -- with General Motors as a Diesel and Hydraulics Mechanic
retiring in 2004, after having what was my second heart attack.

My long time, now, second and absolute gem of a wife, Elaine, is a school teacher and closing in on her own opportunity for retirement.
We live a quiet and simple life on a small non-producing farm here in North Carolina.
The thoughts of the many men, from those formative years of mine spent so long ago with G-2-6, whose names and pictures flood my mind with so many remembrances of long ago: they're damn near overwhelming. Talking with Trevor Davies after so many years just about blew my mind while reminding me that "We chosen few. We band of brothers" have so very much to be thankful for: memories of far off places and friends, who after so many years, still share an inclination to reach out and find one another.
My email address is or I can be reached by phone at (252) 357-1418 or drop me a line at 006 [ that's right 006] Corner Road; Eure, North Carolina 27935. Semper fi!!!

The CH 46 has been modified over the years but the last one came off the assembly line in February of 1971. It is an all-weather, day-or-night assault transport of combat troops, supplies and equipment, though assault support is its primary function with the nickname "phrog," pronounced as frog.
Still regularly flown by the Marine Corps as late as 2006, its longevity as a reliable airframe has lead to such mantras as "phrogs phorever" and "never trust a helicopter under 30."
While the United States Navy retired the airframe on September 24, 2004 , replacing it with the MH-60 Seahawk, the Marine Corps plans to maintain its fleet until the MV-22 ( Osprey ) is fully fielded.

William J. Frentz: [Now deceased] was born 1940, enlisted in the Marine Corps on 4/3/59 in Buffalo, New York.
"Finishing my basic training on Parris Island, I proceeded to Camp Geiger, North Carolina for a month of infantry training and was immediately thereafter assigned to Golf Company, 2nd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.
"It was about
October of 1961 that G-2-6 was directed to be the single unit within the Regiment to constitute an infantry force aboard the USS Graham County for 6 months in the South Atlantic. The expressed purpose of the 'Cruise' was to better our nation's relations with those of the African and South American continents. Few of us were aware of just how much tumult existed within the region at the time, the United Nation's interest in the [ former Belgian] Congo or the United State's concern over the prospects of a communist regime establishing itself in that newly emerging nation.
"Men from throughout the Regiment stepped-up as volunteers for what became thereafter officially known as the 'Solant Amity I Cruise' and we set off for a six month adventure around November of 1960, stopping first at Viegues, Puerto Rico for a bit of training before setting off for Trinidad and points beyond. It all made for one hell of a memorable six months in my life.
'After completing my 30 months with the 6th Marines, I was temporarily assigned to a Howitzer unit and then to 2nd Amtracs at Court House Bay. It was from there that I was discharged from active duty on April 2 of 1963.
"A lot of years have passed since my "youthful exuberance" period with USMC. And I can't tell you just how very often I've thought of those days, the partying, the expended efforts and those strong friendships of 1959-1963. It is a time never to be forgotten by myself, most notably our time in Recife, Brazil and the Moulin Rouge, but too because of men like Gary Fusco, George Bitsoli, Amadio DiBuonaventura and, my "keep-your-head-out-of-your-butt" mentor, Ronald [R.C.] Peyton. All are remembered with the greatest affection.
"Learning, as I did with a phone call from Ed Shea on my birthday [2002], that an effort is being made to reach out to all we sinners of the past lent an extra something to the event.
"It's great to again be in-touch. Semper fi."
[Editor's Note: Bill died on 29Mar09 after a long bout with cancer. His biography will remain on our website, in memory of a man that will not too soon be forgotten. For privacy sake, contact may be made with the family through our website administrator. May his soul rest in peace. ]

Gary S. Fusco remains a partial mystery. Originally from Long Island, Gary entered the Corps in 1959, did his bit at Parris Island, SC and found himself assigned to 2nd Battalion, 6th Marines at Lejeune and then part of the 3rd Platoon of G-2-6 for Solant Amity I. After leaving 2/6, he joined the 2nd Field Artillery Group, where he ran one of the Field Survey Teams, computing the weapons site and mission control information for an Honest John [ nuclear warhead capable] Rocket Battery. It is believed he was discharged while still assigned to that unit in 1963.
On St. Patty's Day in March of 1965, my probationary firemen's class was required to march as part of the contingent of FDNY's "Bravest" strolling uptown, along Manhattan's 5th Avenue. From the crowd I heard my name being shouted and when I turned to see who it was, I saw Gary pressed amongst the crowd of viewers. Breaking ranks, I ran to exchange glad-handings and "How are you doing?"s and hurriedly returned to my formation.
Though but "semi-military," I was still on duty and marching as part of a company formation. My breaking of ranks under the circumstances wasn't exactly kosher there anymore than it would have been at Lejeune; yet, I have regretted for years my not taking the time to exchange phone numbers.

It was not until the fall of 2002 that some of the pieces concerning Gary's "after-Corps" life became known.
Following his return to New York, Gary lead a rather casual, comfortable and single life style in the Long Island and Manhattan areas. He managed a movie theater on Long Island. Then, in the latter part of the 60's, he moved to California and married.
Gary came to own two ice cream parlors, part of Swenson's Ice Cream Stores: one in National City and the other in East County's La Mesa area. At one point, he sold the store in East County and around 1985, after some 17 years of marriage, obtained a divorce. By 1996, the second ice cream parlor had closed and Gary had again married.
In 2007, through more than one associate, we learned that Gary has a wish to maintain his anonymity. He leads a quiet life, providing public service to the indigent and wishes it all to remain private.
I want to thank those who've helped to find some of the things we've learned about our old comrade. In addition, should you...Gary...or yours be reading these words, I wish you the very best and thank you for your years of service to the nation and community.

For more 3rd Herd Biographies proceed to G-Z ---------------------For 3rd Herd Reunion Information: Here.

Return to Home page. View the biographies of the 1st Platoon; 2nd Platoon ; Weapons Platoon ; Headquarters and H&S Personnel . See Solant Amity Cruise or Santa Maria Incident related photographs. To see service and cruise related Anecdotes... both literal and photographic or a tribute to the Marines on the Hermitage.
Maybe you would like to read the Comments of Marines and Sailors visiting the site or an ever-expanding array of Links & Things. Or, perhaps you would just like to see some recent photos of the Corps' Parris Island Training Center.